Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday Musings: Maintenance, Depression and the Sacrament

If there is one thing I try over and over to teach my children is the importance of maintenance.  Specifically in keeping the house clean.  You see, it's so much easier to clean the bathroom if the bathroom was cleaned last week as well.  It is so much easier to straighten up your room every day than getting  a bulldozer in there because you forgot the color of the carpet.   You get the point. Consistency is the key.

So lately, I've been thinking about maintenance in our spiritual lives.  I have Depression.  You may ask what does that have to do with maintenance.  A lot.  You see I have found the daily maintenance of reading my scriptures, and praying help me cope better.  Also, through weekly partaking of the Sacrament, I feel the healing attributes of the Atonement.

And he shall go forth, suffering pains and aafflictions and btemptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will ctake upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. (Alma 7:11)

Now don't get me wrong, praying, scripture study, sacrament, even temple attendance will not cure my Depression just as it wouldn't cure a broken arm.  It just gives me a renewal of strength and spirit to deal with with the demons that sometimes return on Monday. 

Elder Robert D. Hales states: 
Throughout our lives, whether in times of darkness, challenge, sorrow, or sin, we may feel the Holy Ghost reminding us that we are truly sons and daughters of a caring Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we may hunger for the sacred blessings that only He can provide. At these times we should strive to come to ourselves and come back into the light of our Savior’s love.

He then offers this promise: "I testify that the sacrament gives us an opportunity to come to ourselves and experience “a mighty change” of heart—to remember who we are and what we most desire"

 I am so grateful for the Sacrament to help me not only remember who I am, but to feel the Spirit testifying of my spiritual identity.   Consistency is the key.  Daily and Weekly maintenance cleanse my soul of stains of mortality. 

Note:  I am doing well.  I had a couple of hard weeks, but I feel I am coming to myself more and more each day.  I definately wouldn't of wrote this if I was still in the "Pit"


No weekly song, yet I am sharing this Mormon Message again because it explains it all better than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment