Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday Musings: Meals on Wheels

When I was just out of High School, I volunteered in a Nursing Home in Tooele.  I loved associating with the residents there.  However one particular lady there, scared me. She looked about 200 years old .  She was in a wheelchair , and she would wheel through the halls screaming with her unkempt wiry gray hair.  I avoided her.

Until one day I decided to conquer my fear.  I approached her and took her flailing, panicy hand in mine.  She stopped screaming and clasped my hand as if I was her only lifeline.  She just wanted to feel loved.  She wanted to feel human despite what time had robbed from her.

Humanity is described as the quality of life.  I think our human interaction helps us feel human.  Touch, a kind word, even a smile can improve someone's humanity.

The past few month I have been doing Meals on Wheels.  I think it came from my desire to help those who have lived such great, amazing, hard lives and need to be remembered.  My job is to bring a meal to them, share some kind words and make sure they are okay.   I am grateful that I am able to bring them food to sustain them physically.  However,  they serve me by their smiles, their expressed gratitude and optimism despite their circumstances.   My association with them helps me feel human.  My  quality of life is improved through my service.


I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy,
I woke and I saw that life is all service.
I served and I saw that service is joy.
(Mother Teresa)

No comments:

Post a Comment