Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Monday Musings: Aretha Franklin, M&M's and Parenting

(I know a little late again.  Our house in chaos right now as we are getting new flooring)

Our monthly theme is Respect.  Just saying it wants me to break out in a little Aretha Franklin.  Yet I'll refrain.  You know those days you pray for patience?  Same thing with respect.  It's not happening.  And I want "just a little bit" (yeah) just a little bit." So I'm thinking what "punishment" would teach them  respect.  Well after stewing over it a few days, I decided to ask the Perfect Parent.  


The answer was looking for the positive.  For example, today, one of my kids got up, got dressed without me telling him/her one thousand times. I'm grateful I was able to notice it.  When our kids do something right, do we notice?  It's like driving a car.  We get irritated at the red lights, yet forget to notice and be grateful for the green lights.


I  am reinstating "Minor Moments"  and giving postive affirmations to my children.  A few years ago we gave family members cards with M&M Characters on it.  We wrote something positive we noticed about that person and placed it on their beds.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm hoping improvement.  And I think I will be able to be a happier mom.  So again back to Aretha Franklin: 

You've got to ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
And bring gloom down to the minimum
And have faith or pandemonium is liable
To walk upon the scene

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! I too need to work on looking at the positive, especially with my kiddos. thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete