Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday Musings: Les Miserables

Last week our family took a trip South.  Friday the older girls and I and my sister attended Les Miserables at the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City.  It was phenomenal!  I had seen it many years ago, have always loved the story, the music ( most of the music) and was not disappointed.


I decided to read the book before I went.  I didn't finish it.  I'm on page 509.  The book has 829 pages.   And this the abridged version. 


Victor Hugo's writing is brilliant.


 When the Bishop learns about Jean Valjean and the percieved danger he imposes, he states:  "Have no fear of robbers or murderers.  Such dangers are without, and are but petty.  We should fear ourselves.  Prejudices are the real robbers; vices the real murderers.  The great dangers are within us.  What matters it what threatens our heads or purses?  Let us think only of what threatens our souls?"


Also from the Bishop:


"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. "


"Progress must believe in God.  The good cannot have an impious servitor"




And my favorite quote from the show at the end:  "To love another person is to see the face of God. "
Then the show ends with this song:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment