(I know a little late again. Our house in chaos right now as we are getting new flooring)
Our monthly theme is Respect. Just saying it wants me to break out in a little Aretha Franklin. Yet I'll refrain. You know those days you pray for patience? Same thing with respect. It's not happening. And I want "just a little bit" (yeah) just a little bit." So I'm thinking what "punishment" would teach them respect. Well after stewing over it a few days, I decided to ask the Perfect Parent.
The answer was looking for the positive. For example, today, one of my kids got up, got dressed without me telling him/her one thousand times. I'm grateful I was able to notice it. When our kids do something right, do we notice? It's like driving a car. We get irritated at the red lights, yet forget to notice and be grateful for the green lights.
I am reinstating "Minor Moments" and giving postive affirmations to my children. A few years ago we gave family members cards with M&M Characters on it. We wrote something positive we noticed about that person and placed it on their beds.
I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm hoping improvement. And I think I will be able to be a happier mom. So again back to Aretha Franklin:
You've got to ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between
You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
And bring gloom down to the minimum
And have faith or pandemonium is liable
To walk upon the scene
Our monthly theme is Respect. Just saying it wants me to break out in a little Aretha Franklin. Yet I'll refrain. You know those days you pray for patience? Same thing with respect. It's not happening. And I want "just a little bit" (yeah) just a little bit." So I'm thinking what "punishment" would teach them respect. Well after stewing over it a few days, I decided to ask the Perfect Parent.
The answer was looking for the positive. For example, today, one of my kids got up, got dressed without me telling him/her one thousand times. I'm grateful I was able to notice it. When our kids do something right, do we notice? It's like driving a car. We get irritated at the red lights, yet forget to notice and be grateful for the green lights.
I am reinstating "Minor Moments" and giving postive affirmations to my children. A few years ago we gave family members cards with M&M Characters on it. We wrote something positive we noticed about that person and placed it on their beds.
I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm hoping improvement. And I think I will be able to be a happier mom. So again back to Aretha Franklin:
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between
You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
And bring gloom down to the minimum
And have faith or pandemonium is liable
To walk upon the scene
I loved this post! I too need to work on looking at the positive, especially with my kiddos. thanks for the motivation!
ReplyDelete